Is your heart at risk from your mouth?
Periodontal (gum) disease is the most common infection in the world (1). It is painless, looks red, and bleeds easily from ulceration.
Cardiovascular (heart) disease is America’s leading cause of death (2). Heart attack or stroke happens when arterial plaque ruptures.
Heart and periodontal diseases are linked by INFLAMMATION, and these Oral-Systemic research findings:
- Heart attack clots contain periodontal pathogens (3)
- Higher Blood Pressure is linked to higher load of periodontal pathogens(4)
- Inflammation in carotid and periodontal plaque is strongly correlated (5)
- Repeat heart attacks and strokes are linked Periodontal Disease (6)
- Periodontal pathogen Pg is a significant predictor for acute heart attack (7)
A simple “rinse & spit” Saliva Test can reveal the presence of periodontal pathogens, for more information, please click here.
With Saliva Test results, a Holistic Mouth doctor can help you with non-surgical home treatment of gum disease, or refer you to a periodontist and/or medical doctor.
For a Holistic Mouth evaluation, contact us, we are happy to answer questions about keeping your heart healthy.
For Holistic Mouth Solutions to Your Heart and Your Mouth, see Whole Health Periodontal Treatment.
(1) Guinness Book of World Records
(2) National Center for Health Statistics: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db99.htm
(3) Ohki, et. al, Am Heart J. 2012 Feb;163(2):164-7
(4) Moı̈se Desvarieux, et. al. Journal of Hypertension 2010, 28:1413–1421
(5) Tawakol, et. al, J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;57(8):971-976
(6) Dorn, et al, Journal of Periodontology, April 2010, Vol. 81, No. 4, 502-511
(7) Stein, et. al, J. Periodontology 10/2009; 80:1581-1589.